Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Laughter is the best medicine!

This is my grandson Bladen.  If there is trouble to be found, he finds it.  He's so adorable.  This picture perfectly illustrates the point I want to make today.  Laughter is truly the best medicine.  Years ago when my children were little my lifelong friend taught me a very valuable lesson.  She told me she came into the kitchen to find her 3 year old son on the kitchen floor covered in flour, flour covering the floor, eggs broken, some in a bowl, some on the floor, basically a mess. She asked him what he was doing and he said "making you pancakes mommy."  In my head I was thinking uh, oh, I bet you were mad.  I asked "what did you do?"  Her answer "I ran and got the camera."  My viewpoint totally changed after that.  Instead of an angry situation this was a funny moment captured forever in pictures.

Marie Osmond credits her mom for teaching them a creed that I live by: Someday we are going to laugh about this, why not laugh about it now?  It's true isn't it?  Is there really any situation that happens in life that with time doens't become funny?  I've been known to laugh at the most inappropriate of situations.  Case in point: standing in the receiving line at my father's funeral viewing.  My two older brothers are comedians anyway who make everything funny.  Now of course there was absolutely nothing funny about our father passing away.  But dad had a great sense of humor so I know he was smiling down from heaven when this happened.  My brother didn't have a suit of his own to wear so he went into dad's closet to borrow one.  Dad kept Rolaids in every pocket of every item of clothing he owned.  Now, there was no telling how long this particular roll of Rolaids had been in this pocket, but my brother decided he needed a breath mint and he figured a Rolaid would be "close enough."  I think maybe this roll of Rolaids had been in the pocket a bit past the expiration date because I turned and looked at my brother and he looked at me and his mouth was puckered up and his eyes were popping out of his head.  He couldn't do anything but swallow it.  He started choking and we both burst out laughing.  Not the most appropriate thing to do in a funeral line.  It was extremely hard to get our composure back. But that one moment we shared was priceless.  It was just what we needed at a very sad time.  Take some time to laugh, laughter can be the best medicine!

No comments:

Post a Comment